Friday, June 20, 2008

Sometimes people make my skin crawl

Today I was notified that a particularly creepy man was back out in the world doing what he does best. Capturing and hoarding animals.

Following is a link to a news story about it. This story is very brief and I am linking to it as opposed to my local news because eventhough this man is abhorrent to me, I'm a little nervous about splashing his face on my blog. If you'd like to see him so you can identify him yourself, I believe you can easily google his name.

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2007/07/31/dead_cats_found_after_high_speed_chase/

The rescue community was told today that this man was spotted in a Far North Metroplex city trying to adopt a cat "for his mother." He was turned away because nobody in rescue allows someone to adopt an animal for another grown person in the family. It's just not done. However, the following week he returned to the place where he had been turned away and someone recognized him for who he was and told him to leave. This week he was spotted hanging around a feral community by the person who cares for said feral community. This time, the police were notified.

What really gets me is that this man will continue to collect animals because it is his compulsion to do so. I believe he is mentally ill. I cannot say so for sure as I am not his physician nor have I counseled him, but I have been involved with a rescue that has tried to help him in the past and I have had the misfortune of being on lookout at the address of the shelter and location of our Adopt a Pet events for him with my cell phone ready for 911 as he has previously threatened harm upon our rescue. A person who truely loves and is "for" animals does not threaten to harm them when things don't go their way. These are the actions of a mentally ill person. And I wish whole heartedly that there was something we could do to put him away for the good of all the community animals. But since he has yet to harm an animal with clear intention of harm, there is simply nothing that can be done. So those of us in the rescue community continue to report sightings and keep counts on our animals. I guess this means that I should actually start cataloging the strays in my neighborhood so I can keep track now. I would hate for any one of them to be snatched up by him.

0 comments: