Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Shopping Whirlwind

For the first time in many years I actually finished my Christmas shopping prior to the actual week of Christmas.  Yes, I am one of those procrastinating shoppers who tends to always have at least a couple of gifts to buy on December 23.  This year, I finished my shopping the Friday before.  I was so very proud of myself.  This is not to say that I'm totally finished with Christmas.  I still have a couple of gifts I'm making myself, but those are sure to be finished quickly on my day off.  So they don't count.

Last night I was in Jo-Ann Fabrics to pick up ribbon for one of those very such home made gifts I need to finish.  I also needed a gift bag.  In the past I've been very good about avoiding the Holiday decorations aisle completely because my home is chaotic and any decorations I try to put up will be immediately destroyed by those shredder kitten claws.  I'm not kidding.  I tried putting up a tree 4 years ago and it was only marginally destroyed, but then I had fewer foster cats then.

So, I'm in Jo-Ann's and I'm in the Holiday decorations aisle looking for gift bags and I notice that most everything is already 70% off.  It is at that very moment when "Crazy Holiday Shopper" me spirals out of control.  Right behind me was a collection of the cutest turquoise blue snowman and snowflake baking tools.  I wanted it all.  From the cookie spatula to the whisk, to the oven mitts.  They all matched.  Hell, I think I would have picked up the apron had there been one.  Then there were cookie cutters and pancake molds and toast stamps.  What about serving dishes?  I want matching serving dishes!!!  I had my arms full as I made my way down to the register.

I don't remember what exactly it was that snapped me out of my shopping insanity, but all of a sudden I heard this little voice in my had say, "Maggie!  What are you going to do with all of that stuff?  You don't bake! And if you did, where are you going to store it?  Which full closet?  Hmm?"  All I have to say is Thank Goodness I have voices inside my head because I was about two seconds from purchasing an armload of un-needed, though really cute, junk that was just going to end up in a box at the back of one of my closets and never seen again.  Or at least not seen again until I stop fostering cats en mass.  Just like my Christmas tree and my Halloween decorations.

Thank you voices in my head.  You rock!

0 comments: