Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Did I really just say that?

A moment ago I uttered words that I would think are sure fire DEATH to a Foodie's tastebud needs. I actually said, "I love my Steamer!"

WHAT????

I love food. I mean LOVE it! If I knew I could feel attractive at 400 lbs, I'd give in to all abandon and eat my way through the day every day. An entire bag of Doritos would be devoured at least once per day as well as I'd indulge in fried goodness daily. Mmmm, and Ice Cream...

But since I do Not have the metabolism of a mouse, I try my best to eat as rediculously healthy as possible for lunch at work so I can then have more of a cushion for what I eat for dinner. And one of the ways I eat healthy at work is to steam a variety of things for lunch each day.

Currently, my steaming repatoire consists of salmon, frozen veggies and brown rice. There's not much diversity there. But I have to say that it's rather good and oddly satisfying. And CHEAP!

I buy my spices at the 99 cent store in my neighborhood. And I buy my rice in bulk. And veggies are only about $2 per bag of mixed veggies, so $4 gets me through two weeks. Salmon can also be pretty cheap as well depending on what time of year it is. I buy the packaged large filat and then cut it down to little 2oz pieces per day and freeze it to take to work as needed. Chicken would be even cheaper than salmon. The steamer itself was only about $25. Since I've had it for over a year now I'd say it's paid for itself many times over by now.

And the best part? I don't have to prepare my lunch every day before I come to work. My supplies are already here in the freezer or in my personal cabinet. I only have to remember to put the ingredients in the steamer an hour (for the brown rice then put the fish and veggies in at 30 min) ahead of lunch. And that's not so hard.

So as much as I hate to say that I am in love with my steamer, it is a fact that I have to admit to. Not only does it provide me with healthful low calorie meals, but it also allows me to eat pretty cheaply. Plus the clean up is a Snap as long as you are simply steaming items as opposed to cooking meals in it.

Here's a list of steamers from Amazon.com to get a person started:

Oster 5712 Electronic 2-Tier 6.1-Quart Food Steamer



Black & Decker Divided Food Steamer
This is the one I have



Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker with Steaming Basket
And you can also always steam in your rice cooker

0 comments: