Saturday, January 10, 2009

Nimue shines today

My kittens have both be adopted, but my work with this family unit is not quite done. I still haven't placed their mother, Nimue. Nimue is not going to be the easiest cat to place for adoption. She is dominant; she is sassy to a point of having an Abundance of attitude; and if she doesn't like something she is quick with the Tazmanian Devil Claws of Death. We thought that once she was spayed she would calm down a little bit. She did calm down a little. She quit attacking my dog. But she didn't quit attacking her kittens whenever she pleased. Then once they were adopted, she and Taquita started in on it with one another. No blood was drawn or anything, but it's enough to recommend to potential adopters that she be an only animal in the home.

On top of all of that, she's never really been very personable with people. She's very curious and has no qualms approaching people, but she's never been interested in showing affection. These are all things that are pretty big roadblocks for finding an adoptive home. Today, however was one of those breakthrough days where I am assured that Nimue will be a great companion for the right person.

Today, not only did she play with the other cats in the house (still rough, but it was obviously Play), but she actually showed real affection towards me. For the first time ever, Nimue hopped in my lap and kneaded the bread.




To say I was surprised is an understatement. I was shocked. This is HUGE! This means that I can actually tell people that she will be a loving sweet companion with the right patience! Before I had to tell people that she had quirks and they would have to read her body language to know what mood she was in. They'll still have to do that, but with one of those moods being displayed in the video above, that gives her only slightly more attitude than the average dominant cat.

I am so happy right now. This gives me so much hope for her to get a nice loving home!

0 comments: