Thursday, January 10, 2013

Clearance Madness!

One of the perks of living in the big city is that heavenly place we call the "Fabric District."  There is a Joann Fabrics across the street from my office and I have a VIP card that gives me 10% off of my entire purchase at any time (thanks to my DFWCG membership), plus I subscribe to their coupons and have the Android app, but even with all of that the Fabric District is Mecca for finding good fabric deals.  Especially when Golden d'Or has their Inventory Clearance Sales!!!  I'm not kidding.  One year I found pure heavy wool in that clearance for $1.99/yd.  I've also found other good wools and even good  linens in there too.  That's when the angels from heaven shine their light down on my dainty head and sing Hallelujah!!!

But deals like that aren't exactly so easy, nor are they the rule of thumb.  Yes, there are amazing deals.  You just have to dig for the right fabric.  Or break out your best Black Friday game face.  I witnessed two women arguing over a cutting today and all of a sudden my joke to the bossman about crossing his fingers I made it back in an hour and sans a black eye just got a little real.  Eventually, they figured it out and were able to laugh about how silly they were, but I had to stand in line for a little over an hour to wait to have my fabric cut.

So what did I get?


On the left is a pretty plaid corduroy.  I have plans for that to be a sweet belted cape.  I've always wanted a sassy vintage style cape!  I should have enough left for a skirt.  $2.99/yd.

In the middle is a little bit of upholstery fabric.  It's totally a synthetic blend.  Mostly synthetic.  That thread's awful shiny.  And there's not much of it.  But there's enough for some bodice/kirtle sleeves and a stomacher to tie onto my Pendragon bodice for work at Scarby.  And there may even be enough fabric for a narrow forepart.  Actually, that's pushing it, but I can hope right?  If there's not enough fabric for the forepart, then I'll use it to make one of my riding bodices I make from the Tudor Tailor kirtle pattern.  $2.99/yd.

On the right is a light weight cotton.  I got 6 yards of this so I think it's going to be a dress.  Maybe vintage, maybe modern.  I should also have enough fabric for a top of some sort.  Again, maybe vintage, maybe modern.  I'm not sure yet.  I'm pretty positive it'll sit in my stash for a while before I decide.  But I just couldn't say no to it.  $0.99/yd.

I passed up a really nice periwinkle and peach plaid taffeta that would be Brilliant as a late Victorian Natural Form dress.  I'm really regretting that now.  I should have gotten it anyways.  I shouldn't go back to get it, but I can't stop thinking about it.  So I may go back tomorrow or early Saturday to see if it is still there.  If it is, then it was meant to be.  If it isn't, well, I'll probably cuss myself and then proclaim that I didn't need it anyways.  Wish me luck!

0 comments: